Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Family History is Truth-Myth-Legend


Do you know the TRUTH-MYTH-LEGEND of your family? The Slocombe or Slocum family is so interesting I just can’t stop the search. The Seiler family I can’t find in Germany, the Rhoades family in Pennsylvania is a brick wall and I love the old legends of England. I have so many surnames I want to write a story on I don’t know where to begin or to stop……

The church is in Crowcombe, Somerset, England - the hunt for the Slocombe family history is digging up the truth, myth and legend of Old England


Myth - Anthony Slocombe never went to Dartmouth with Ralph Russell

Truth - Anthony and family went to Albemarle, North Carolina with

John Harvey when he purchased land from the Indians in 1662

Legend - Anthony's family in England was involved with a ship named "Falcon" - the Falcon landed in Jamestown, Virginia in 1619, read the whole story in Judy's new history document - The life of Anthony Slocombe - If you are a Slocombe from England, America or any where in the world we would sure like to hear from you.

5 comments:

  1. Eh your forgetting my family in sweden or maybe norway? Almberg family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to have a hobby that means so much to you. I'm always interested in my genealogy, but would like someone else to do it for me.

    My wife is a clothing button collector who spends hours and hours on her hobby, and your passion for yours reminds me of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old stuff if fun, Genealogy is my passion however I also collect old history books, post cards, diaries, old letters. Find them at garage sales and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quote by Ben Franklin:
    If you would not be forgotten
    As soon as you are dead and rotten,
    Either write things worthy reading,
    Or do things worth the writing
    Write your family history so you are not just a name and date on a tombstone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who were the parents of Anthony Slocombe and was he related to Philip Slocombe (son of Philip and Charity Slocombe)? I am a direct decedent of the Philip Slocombe's son Giles and I cannot figure out the relationship between Giles and Anthony. There is a monument in the US that claims Giles to be the son of Anthony but English records show Giles to be the son of Philip and Charity who died in England shortly after Anthony went to America. Giles followed in 1643 and was said to live with Anthony.

    ReplyDelete